Tuesday, December 2, 2008

a long time

Hello All,
Wow it has been a LONG time since I wrote on here. But I guess it's because I have just been plain busy. The past few weeks I have been recording excerpts and listening to playbacks. Last week I did some intense recordings. I have been recording the excerpts individually, and I have learned a lot about my playing.
Three things are really becoming aware to me that I have heard others (higher up) say they listen for in an audition. In time--In tune--with a great sound. At times I have wondered if I have to be really nit-picky about my playing. But a question my dad mentioned to me that came from his former teacher is "Would you buy a recording of that?" And honestly, there are a few times I have thought maybe I'll let this little thing slide. But then I have to think I'm wanting to give the listeners my best foot forward so in one sense "no shortcuts." One excerpt it took me 15 tries to get it the way I liked it. BUT that 16th time when I played it back, I was very excited and yelled, "Yes, Yes!"
Tonight was a frustrating session with a particular excerpt because I just could not play it in time. I spent a good half-hour to 45 minutes on the excerpt, but had to leave not picking one of the recordings. Yea it was frustrating (it showed in intramurals) to leave on a damper, but it's an excerpt where you can lose a lot of gas and need to rest the lips to play it well. So tomorrow I will pick up where I left off tomorrow.
Three excerpts left to record, and then this long journey will come to an end; the rest will be in God's hands, and it'll be time to move on to a new and exciting journey.

This is going to be a busy, but rewarding week

Disziplin und Hingabe wird gewinnen den Tag.

From
J-man (Romans 12:1-2)

No comments: