Thursday, January 22, 2009

A "Rocky" attitude

Hello All,
It seems like it's been forever since I wrote on this blog, even though it has been about a month. This new semester is bringing new challenges as well as exciting opportunities.
This semester is going to be new for me in one way because from 4-6 p.m., I do not have an ensemble rehearsal. For the past 2.5 years I have been in Grace Brass, and decided (after much thought and prayer) that I would not be in the ensemble this semester. Why? I realized last semester that I have been doing a lot of playing but very little practicing due to the amount of ensembles I have been a part of--four groups last semester. Last semester I had a new desire to practice a lot and realized that I couldn't due to ensemble rehearsals. Some of you may disagree with me. Some may say that ensemble rehearsal is really good for the player. However, I never really had time to have personal practice to work on excerpts or solos.
So this semester I am not participating in Grace Brass, so I can focus more on personal practice for auditions, competitions, and most importantly for the semester--my Junior recital in February. So with the less ensemble work comes the responsibility of practicing during that time slot I would be in Grace Brass.
This semester is so exciting because of all the "free time" I have which will be spent in practicing and exercising. In Rocky IV, Rocky has to face the Siberian machine, so what does he do? He goes to Siberia and trains there for the fight. Basically secluded from everyone, he is able to focus hard and train well for a well-deserved victory.---Watch that movie if you ever get a chance!
I want to have this approach to my practicing: really focusing on my musical endeavors. Easier said than done though--especially that first week of classes. We'll see how it all goes as the semester continues.
I'm looking forward to it and can't wait to see how it all turns out :)

From
J-man (Hebrews 12:5-11)

PS the whole Rocky thing being in Siberia is kinda fitting too because Winona Lake is having one of its coldest winters in recent history. Adds a nice little touch to it. :)

No comments: