Monday, October 27, 2008

My "first" trombone lesson

Hello All,

Well this fall break weekend will definitely be one to remember. Yesterday I was able to have a trombone lesson, with Peter Sullivan, principal trombonist of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. This is the first of many future lessons with different professionals. And it was a good one to start off with this new endeavor.

We scheduled the lesson to be at 10 in the morning, so I woke up at 7 A.M., warmed up at 8; ate brkfast and on the road just before 9. (I haven't been this structured in a long time, but I kinda liked it). btw, kudos to John's mom to making a "trombone" breakfast and allowing me to eat well. I arrived at his house, and it was kinda what I expected--basement with trombones everywhere. His first words when he saw me were, "Holy Toledo, you're tall!! Good lung capacity then"

So for the next hour and a half, I played excerpts for him. Basically the top 10 and some that I'm working with towards the ITF competition in December. He was very helpful in my approaches to the excerpts and with style for some of them. All in all, he reminded me a little bit of my current teacher, Jim Kraft, but he had different approaches to some excerpts which I was really glad about. In general, he was a really nice guy and was very helpful. I am particularly glad that towards the end of the lesson, he asked me "Now what are you gonna take away from this lesson?"

And so here's a few things I got from it: 1) I need to get in the "groove" before I play the excerpt--hear what else is going on in the orchestra and have that in my mind; 2) for some excerpts, it might be better to play the excerpts in a different style--for example, why not play the Wagner Die Walkure like a Bordogni/Rochut etude. It helps you listen for intonation which leads to 3) I have to be brutally disciplined when it comes to intonation and rhythm 4) and I need to work on getting a more orchestral sound--playing more fully and just round and whole. It's there at times, but needs to be consistent. Basically, playing in tune, in time, with a great sound will hands down get you that job.

All in all, Peter Sullivan had some really great helpful and encouraging comments for me. And it was great to have another person's "ears" and opinions with my playing, especially from a respected trombonist in a major symphony orchestra. What a fun day (more to come with that) and just another step, I believe, in showing this is what I believe the good Lord has for me. It really really is a fun journey!! :-)

From
J-man (Psalm 31:14-16)

No comments: