Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Joy of God and Trombone: Together as One

Hello All,
A good friend of mine and myself recently were at an assisted living facility leading a group hymn sing-a-long with the 'ole folk there. I normally don't lead but the regular leader was out of town due to wedding bells. The last time we were at the hymn sing-a-long one of the gentlemen asked me if I brought my trombone to play. Sad to say, I didn't that Sunday but this Sunday I decided I would since it seemed like he was always wanting me to bring it. Well it was his lucky day because it was his birthday as well.
I played happy birthday for him and everyone sang to him, then we began singing some hymns. I led a few songs by voice and others by playing the trombone. Towards the end of the time, they were all just wanting me to play. So I did and let them join in with singing if they wanted to. It was a grand time. I thought of how Homer Rodeheaver used to do the same thing when leading Billy Sunday revivals. I never had really done that sort of thing, leading a sing-a-long by trombone.............but honestly I had always wanted to :-)
We got towards the end and I finished with a couple great hymns of the faith. I ended the time with the hymn "How Great Thou Art" because it has such a beautiful melody and truth. While I was playing I noticed one of the ladies had her eyes closed, head tilted back, smile on her face, and just listening to the words. This was so exciting for me for a few reasons. One was I remember hearing a story once of 'ole George Roberts (considered "Mr. Bass Trombone") playing simple melodies of the Sinatra era for his wife. And he always knew she was enjoying the song whenever she had her eyes closed and a smile on her face. As I saw that it made me think how a simple hymn melody allows a person to engage in the Joy of God and engage in praising/worshiping God. No words; just music.
It also reminded me that I play the trombone because I enjoy playing the trombone. It's that simple. And I enjoy the Joy of the Lord. What better way to enjoy both things at the same time with other people.

ENJOY the Joy of God and the Joy of Music
:-)

From J-man
(Psalm 31:14-15)

No comments: