Sunday, June 1, 2008

My Purpose with the 'Ole Trombone

Hello All,
About a week ago, my parents and I went down to the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte, North Carolina for Memorial Day. This place at first sight looks dedicated to a man who literally has gone everywhere for one purpose--give the Gospel of Christ to others. But this is not the case. This ministry (billy graham evangelism association) has built a museum about Billy's life and ministry in order to proclaim the Gospel of Christ. It is just another tool God is using to further His Word. All in all, the library is very inspiring and motivating, showing how a man fulfilled The Great Commission.
We were in the Prayer Garden where Ruth Graham is buried and we're singing with some others and an elder man asked if any of us with like to give a testimony. So I did and explained how with my trombone playing, it is a ministry. Many times we consider ministry being working at a church or Christian organization, but everything we as Believers do is for ministry if we have the right focus.
And there is no difference in the music business. It can be a lost world, and very self-proclaimed world. I was reminded of Matthew 5 where Christ talks about being salt and light. Playing my trombone is a witness to others and it is my ministry. My Christianity, my relationship with Christ comes first. Christ is everything and nothing else matters. He gave me the talent to play the 'ole trombone, why not play really well for Him. So I have to work my tail to be just as good and better than the next guy.
My goal is to be a Christian who happens to be a Trombonist, not be a Trombonist who happens to be a Christian.

From J-man
Psalm 31:14-15

No comments: