Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Grow Spiritually. Grow Musically. Be a Good Friend.

Grow Spiritually. Grow Musically. Be a Good Friend.

As I embark on another year of college life, I decided that with all that has happened this summer, I need something to keep me going. These statements are going to be my goal/mission/motto for the 2008-2009 school year.
The first two phrases are something my father told me at the beginning of last year when I was dealing with some relationship things. He told me that the two things I need to worry about in my life are to grow spiritually and to grow musically and nothing else matters. I reminded myself of those things throughout the school and this past summer, but recently it has REALLY hit home with me. Grant it, I'm a year older but it is sinking in even more now.
The third phrase is one that I pondered quite a bit this summer, and realized that's all I can really do at times. Being a good friend to somebody can be worth more than anything else in the world. A person may not being looking for somebody at all, but they sure do need encouragement and someone to be there when the goin' gets rough. And I want to strive to be that friend.
So these phrases are what I think will drive to keep going in the faith, in the 'ole trombone, and in my friendships. It's gonna be a relatively easier school year than from past years, but my work ethic is going to keep improving. I have much free time during the days which allows me to practice practice practice, and also volunteer at a local high school marching band--giving back what the Good Lord has given to me. That is one thing I have learned big time while working at the theatre this summer.
There is much to look forward to this school year and the good Lord is gonna have somethin' excitin' for me--I know it.
Whelp now I'm gotta get in that "practice, practice, practice" mode!!

From
J-man (Psalm 31:14-16)

No comments: