Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mock Audition

Hello All,
Well this past monday, I had my mock audition. And I have to tell ya I was getting anxious on Monday. It was exciting though, my first time to play these excerpts for some different ears...some non-trombone ears I might add.

My three "judges" were Mr. Marvin Perry, Principal Trumpet of the Indianapolis Symphony; Dr. Patrick Kavanaugh, Artistic Director of the Masterworks Festival, Conductor of the Symphony of the Lakes, and Dean of the Grace School of Music; and lastly, Mr. Gert Kumi, a graduate of Julliard and director of the strings program at Grace.

I made copies of all the excerpts I was to play, laid out some repertoire lists and blank sheets of paper for comments. I let them ask anything to desired from the list that they would like to hear. All in all, they listened to about six excerpts, wrote some comments, and then talked for the rest of the time about each excerpt or general comments about the audition. I won't go into details about what they said or wrote (why would I want to give info to other competitors!!) but it was all very very helpful in the sense that it was from ears that are not brass players (minus one) let alone trombone players. It was from a musician's standpoint.

Afterwards me and Mr. Perry talked about auditions and what he looks for specifically. What a great opportunity it was on Monday to do that. And thank you to them all for the help and support.

Now a little less than one month to go!! :)

From
J-man (Psalm 115:1)

No comments: